I soldered up that test earring press form today and I’m really encouraged by how nicely it turned out.
Fitting the ring to the top was a little fiddly (luckily I have a lot of fragments of firebrick lying around) but I got it balanced in the end:
here it is, all sanded down and in my ear (just to give you an idea of scale)
I think the form works well, but I’m a little concerned that the asymmetry of the shape is causing it to hang ever so slightly off centre. I’m going to make up a couple more and adjust the positioning of the ring – just to see if that helps it to hang more evenly.
Of course, I might be the only one who notices it …